Next Tuesday is the infamous Fat Tuesday which means our I was on WNCN Today this morning sharing some of my favorite Mardi Gras party planning tips from Party Planning Tips for the Clueless Chick with Page Crawford:
- King Cupcakes. King Cake is a very traditional Mardi Gras treat, usually a braided Danish dough with a small baby baked inside, covered in purple, green and gold decorations. Why not think beyond the Danish dough? If you’re a cupcake fan make King Cupcakes! Simply bake your favorite cupcakes and add purple, green and gold sprinkles. Or even better yet, make your own colored sprinkles:
- Colored Sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 drop food coloring
Pour sugar into ziptop bag or a jar with a tight fitting lid. Add food coloring, close tightly and shake for 1 minute or until all of the sugar is colored. Add additional drops of food coloring for a deeper color. TIP: Purple = 2 Red + 1 Blue
- Simple Decorations. The beauty of Mardi Gras is that you can reuse your favorite decorations from other holidays, sprinkle in some beads and you have yourself the perfect Mardi Gras decorations! Grab your green serving pieces from St. Patrick’s Day, your gold decorations from Christmas and your purple from Easter and you have everything you need. TIP: Buying solid color decorations and serving pieces is a great way to save money, what’s better than a single platter you can use for 3 different holidays?!
- Shots of Color. Another staple of Mardi Gras is over the top cocktails so have fun with it! Make the perfect Mardi Gras Jell-O shots with grape, lime and yellow Jell-O and a few party syringes. Mix the Jell-O as directed, let it cool a bit, then draw up the Jell-O into each syringe and refrigerate for a few hours. TIP: Feeling extra crafty? Layer all 3 colors in each syringe by adding grape first, chill for a few hrs, add green, chill again then add yellow and chill a final time.
- Beautiful Masks and Crazy Beads. You simply can’t have a Mardi Gras party without beads and a beautiful mask. Our friends at BuyCostumes.com sent us these fabulous red velvet masks on a stick. Why are masks on a stick so fabulous? Because they won’t mess up your hair or leave marks on your face ;-) Then of course there are the beads. When it comes to Mardi Gras beads, more is better. Beads are the perfect as:
- Party favors for your guests: greet them at the door with a strand or two
- Decoration: hang them from light fixtures or pile them up in a glass vase
- Prizes: use them as prizes for your party games
For all of my DIY party planning tips pick up a copy of Party Planning Tips for the Clueless Chick and following the Clueless Chick on Facebook and Twitter.
As I mentioned on the show, you can come and meet me in person at the Celebrate your Baby Bump Day Expo at GreenPea Baby Store in Cary, NC on Sunday 3/2 from 2-5pm. We are going to have some fabulous giveaways and great insider tips for picking and packing the perfect diaper bag! Register to attend today!
Until next time,
aka Chick #1